Daisypath tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mexican Christmas

My step-dad brought up the idea to have a different Ethnic meal on Christmas each year rather than the same old turkey or ham dinner with all the fixings. It does seem to be the same thing year after year. It is nice to have those big dinners, but it's to the point where I have to agree with him, it's time for a change. This year we're having a Mexican meal. I have a few different things to make, mom is making the tacos and my sister and I will be making side dishes and appetizers. I usually make a veggie pizza every year so I asked my sis if she wanted me to try making a mexican veggie pizza. She said that sounded good, so I have the crust for it in the oven now. I've been chopping up veggies this evening getting things ready for tomorrow. I'll be using a cornbread crust rather than a plain pizza dough crust. Along with the veggie pizza I'll be making Tortilla Triangles, Mexican Holiday Spirals, 7-Layer Mexican Dip and Jalapeno Popper Dip.

Here are the recipes I'm going by to make my stuff. I say going by because I hardly ever follow a recipe. I usually use the recipe as a guideline and then do my own thing with it.


Mexican Veggie Pizza Recipe

Ingredients
• 2 carrots, finely sliced .
• 1/2 c green bell peppers, finely sliced .
• 2 (8 oz) packages put in the fridged crescent dinner rolls .
• 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened .
• 1 c taco sauce (I use Ortega Thick And Smooth Med (hot) .
• 1 c black olives, finely sliced .
• 1/2 c fresh broccoli, heads finely sliced .
• 1/2 c red bell peppers, finely sliced .
• 1 (1 1/4 oz) packet taco seasoning mix

Directions
• Preheat oven to 375.
• Roll out crescent rolls onto a lg. non-stick baking sheet.
• Stretch & flatten to form a single rectangular shape on the baking sheet.
• Bake 11-13 mins in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
• Allow to cool.
• Place cream cheese in a med. bowl.
• Mix cream cheese with taco seasoning mix & sauce.
• Adjust the amount of dressing mix, to taste.
• Spread the mixture over the cooled crust.
• Arrange carrots, bell peppers, broccoli & black olives on top.
• Press down with hands.
• Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hrs Cut into bite-size squares to serve.

(my version will use a cornbread crust topped with a mixture of refried beans, cream cheese and taco seasoning. Then a layer of guacamole. Then carrots, broccoli, peppers, onions, tomatoes, black olives and shredded cheese)



Tortilla Triangles

Recipe Ingredients:

1 pkg. (8 oz.) Four Cheese Mexican Style Shredded Cheese
1 cup Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning Mix
3/4 cup Tomatoes chopped
3/4 cup Scallions or Green Onions chopped
3/4 cup Sliced pitted ripe Olives
1/2 cup Refried Beans
8 Flour Tortillas Soft Taco Size

Recipe Instructions:

1. Mix cheese, sour cream and seasoning mix until blended.
2. Toss tomatoes, green onions and olives in small bowl.
3. Spread 2 Tbsp. refried beans and 1/4 of the cheese mixture on each of 4 tortillas. Top each with 1/3 cup of the vegetable mixture and second tortilla. Cut each into 8 triangles. Top with additional sour cream and remaining vegetable mixture.

(I have never made Tortilla Triangles before so I'll probably follow it pretty close to the recipe)


Mexican Holiday Spirals

Recipe Ingredients:

3/4 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup finely chopped Red Pepper
1 Tbsp. Dill Weed
1 tsp. Onion Salt
4 Flour Tortillas Soft Taco Size
8 slices Deli-Thin Swiss Cheese
1 pkg. (12 oz.) Smoked Cooked Ham

Recipe Instructions:

1. Mix sour cream, red pepper, dill and onion salt until well blended.
2. Spread 1/4 cup sour cream mixture over each tortilla. Top each with 2 cheese slices and 4 ham slices.
3. Roll tortillas up tightly. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Cut into 1-inch slices.

(These are really good. When I made them I used guacamole instead of sour cream, and america cheese instead of swiss. For tomorrow I'll be using shredded mexican blend cheese)


7-Layer Dip

I don't have any measurements for this recipe, but I have discovered it's best to have thin layers of the sour cream and guacamole. The rest you can have a thick layer of each if you want. Here are the layers in the order you put them in the pan...

1. Refried beans
2. Sour cream
3. Guacamole
4. Tomatoes (I always think of Tomatina when I see tomatoes)
5. Onions
6. Black olives
7. Shredded cheese (either plain cheddar or a mexican mix)

You just layer the ingredients and keep it chilled by putting the pan inside a bigger pan with ice in it. Then set a bowl of tortilla chips and/or corn chips next to it and munch away. This is a very yummy dip!!!


Jalapeno Popper Dip Recipe

(2) 8 oz Cream Cheese
1 c. Mayo
1 4.5 oz. can of green chillies - drained
2 ozs. diced Jalapenos or use as many Jalapenos to your taste (hot or mild)(I used the jar slice kind and only used around 10 slices diced up)
1 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (real not the imitation)

Mix altogether and put in a crockpot to melt and keep warm.  Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

(I have never made this dip, my family will be my guinea pigs once again... muwahahahahaha!!! This was one of the treats brought in to school by one of the staff members-- sorry I don't remember who it was. I didn't even get to try it when it was brought in, but it sounds so yummy I have to make it!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

HauntSpace

HauntSpace
My little space to haunt on the web

Halloweenalley1031